Kentucky Soul Music

a blog for people with music on their minds

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Lazy Afternoon

The past few days have been stressful, but I didn't expect anything less. Dahn injured her knee, and asked me to cover for her. This meant doing my regular Wednesday night, then the next three nights in a row. On Friday and Saturday, I started at 7pm and went until well past midnight, and took a break only on Saturday. I earned those tips, all right. It's not "playing" music, it's work.

How does one work a Johnny Cash tune into a repertoire of R&B/soul, blues and rock, especially when another person requests a Prince song at the same time? Simple. Do an imitation of Johnny singing "Purple Rain". A guy's gotta be on his toes.

My throat was a little sore Sunday, and I was so tired I had to back out of the jam session at the coffeehouse. I spent most of the day in bed, watching the shows I missed (Monk, Psych, last week's Dead Zone). By the time I got out of bed, it was almost sunset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home